To ensure you are protected against online fraud, NBK will be releasing NBKI Authenticator Application (NBKIA) which is a new application for NBK Customers in London and France. You can download the application starting from 1st March 2022.
What is 3D Secure?
3D Secure (3DS), also known as payer authentication, is a security protocol that works with the NBKIA to prevent fraud on online card transactions. 3DS adds an extra layer of protection to online shopping. With 3DS enabled, you will have to follow a 2-step authentication on most online purchases - so no payments will ever go through unless you authorize them by yourself.
How does 3D Secure protect me?
By verifying your identity using the SMS OTP and the static password or facial recognition/ fingerprint technology that ensures you are meeting 2 of the 3 requirements for Strong Customer Authentication. The 3 requirements are as follows:
- Something you know (SMS OTP and static password)
- Something you are (Fingerprint/ Facial recognition)
- Something you have (Mobile phone)
What is Strong Customer Authentication?
Strong Customer Authentication (SCA) reduces fraud and makes online and contactless offline payments more secure.
How do I download the app?
You can download the application starting from 1st March 2022, and the activation process consists of the following steps:
- Download and install the free NBKI Authenticator Application from Google Play Store or the App Store
- Swipe through 3 welcome screens that explain the app’s features
- Enter your date of birth and mobile phone number
- A reference word will appear on the device instructing you to contact the bank on +47 21499979 for London customers, or +33 1565 98600 for Paris customers
- The bank will perform an identity check and verify the reference word against the word shown on their system
- Once verified, the bank will trigger the delivery of a one-time passcode (OTP) by SMS to the client. If you have problem receiving the OTP via SMS, you can request it to your email address (please ensure this is the same address as that we have on record)
- You enter the OTP and then set and confirm a personal code
- Once the personal code is set you will be completely registered
- To set your static password; please select ‘Safe online shopping’ within the card settings in the app
Once you’re done with the activation, you will be able to complete your online purchases. If you do not complete activation (by following the above 1-9 steps), you will not be able to make online purchases.
For those wishing to confirm their identity biometrically, please ensure this is already set up on your phone (e.g., Facial recognition/ fingerprint scan are already used to unlock your mobile).
What will the NBKIA do for me?
The app will allow you to:
- Verify your identity biometrically or via SMS OTP and static password
- Activate your new card
- View your balance and recent transactions
Do I need to download the application?
Yes, even if wish to use SMS OTP and static password you will still require the application to set your static password. If this is not done you will not be able to complete online purchases that cost 30 Euros or more. NBKI Authenticator Application helps prevent fraud and we hope customers can see its benefits.
When will I be able to download the NBKI Authenticator Application?
The NBKI Authenticator Application will be ready for download starting from Tuesday 1st March 2022.
Will I have to go through SCA on every purchase I make online?
No, some purchases will be exempt from authentication. These are decided by analysis on the level of risk involved. For further information, please see Visa - SCA Exemptions
Will it cost anything to download the app?
No, the application will be completely free to download.
If I have a problem once activated, who do I contact?
Please contact your Service Officer in London or Paris.
Can I de-register for the app?
Yes, all you must do is delete the app. However, you will not be able to complete online purchases that cost 30 Euros or more.
I have entered my OTP or Password sent via SMS incorrectly 3 times. What do I do?
You will be soft blocked, please wait one hour and try again.
Will this extra protection cost me anything?
There will be no additional fees or charges associated with this change.
How do I set up biometrics on my iPhone?
- Tap on the “Settings” icon on your iOS device
- Scroll down and tap “Touch ID & Passcode”
- Tap on “Add a Fingerprint”
- Follow the instructions on your screen and go through the wizard
- After you set up “Touch ID”, your fingerprint will be added to the list of fingerprints authorized on your iPhone
How do I setup biometrics on my Android mobile?
- Open your mobile's “Settings”
- Locate the Biometrics and Security menu
- Select “Face recognition” and/or “Fingerprints”
- Enter your PIN and follow the instructions
Do you have any further questions?
For any enquiries, please contact your Service Officer in London or Paris.