Apple Pay in Kuwait25.01.2023
Banking, money and payments have always gone hand in hand. While in its earliest form, dealing with the three of them would require a lot of documentation and back-and-forth between the parties, with the advent of online banking or mobile banking, it has all become so seamless. All your money transfer needs can be processed with one device online safely and fast with apps. Apple Pay is one such method offered with most Apple devices (that have the Apple Wallet feature) in coordination with all the major banks, debit cards and credit cards in Kuwait.
In this article, we are going to understand how Apple Pay works, how to set up Apple Wallet, how to use it on various Apple devices and the best practices for using Apple Pay in Kuwait. However, before that, let’s first clarify our understanding of what is Apple Pay.
What is Apple Pay?
Apple Pay is a mobile contactless payment system and digital wallet service for Apple devices. It was designed as an alternative to physical credit and debit cards – moving customers to faster, more secure and easy-to-access payment methods like tap and pay using NFC-enabled point of sale terminals or via online check-out.
In Kuwait, Apple Pay is supported by major credit and debit cards provided by banks, like NBK and others.
Although it was first introduced in 2014, Apple Pay in Kuwait was formally launched on 6 Dec 2022  by Apple Inc. It is supported by iPhone 6 and later, iPad Air 2 and later, iPad Mini 3 and later, iPad Pro models and Macs with Touch ID.
How to Set up Apple Pay?
To set up Apple Pay means to link your bank, credit card or debit card to the Apple Wallet in your compatible Apple device. The Apple Wallet actually stores your payment method and enables transactions when you authenticate to pay for goods or services.
Apple Pay Set up on iPhone or iPad
- Open Wallet. On your iPad, go to Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay.
- Tap “Add Credit” or “Debit Card” or the "+" in the top right corner, then press "Continue".
- Use your device's camera to capture the information on your credit, debit or store card. As required, fill in any additional information asked on the screen.
- Provide additional verification as requested, which may require calling your bank or you may receive an SMS with a unique verification code.
- Tap “Next” and now you can start using Apple Pay.
Apple Pay Set up on Apple Watch
- First, open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.
- Scroll down to Wallet & Apple Pay > Tap “Add Card”.
Similar to how one has to do on iPhone, your bank will verify your information. Once everything is in place, you'll receive a confirmation message on your Apple Watch.
Where Can I Use Apple Pay?
Apple Pay can be used in physical stores, within apps, in iMessage and even for transit in some countries and regions.
Once you recognize by symbols or in writing How to Use Apple Pay? That one merchant accepts Apple Pay, you can use your device to make the payment on their card reader. The near-field communication (NFC) antenna embedded within Apple devices allows them to communicate wirelessly with point-of-sale devices .
Payment With iPhone Using Face ID or Touch ID
- Double-click the side button of your iPhone to enable Face ID for Apple Pay or press your finger on the Touch ID of your iPhone to do the same.
- Once your default card appears, look at your iPhone front camera to authenticate with Face ID. You can also enter your passcode.
This step won’t appear if you are started with a finger scan.
- Hold the top of your iPhone near the card reader until you see “Done” and a checkmark on the screen.
Payment With Apple Watch
- Double-click the button next to the Digital Crown.
- Your default payment card will appear with the instruction "Hold Near Reader to Pay" below. Swipe right to left on your Apple Watch to see any other cards you have registered.
- Select the card of your choice and bring your Apple Watch near the card reader.
- A pulse and a beep will confirm that your payment has gone through.
For every transaction, an online receipt is recorded in the Apple Wallet to track payment amount, merchant, timing, etc., at your convenience.
How Secure is Apple Pay?
Using Apple Pay is secure.
It uses a tokenized backend architecture that generates a number or token in place of your card details. For each of your cards, it precisely generates a Device Account Number as well. Apple claims that the Device Account Number is assigned, encrypted and securely kept in the Secure Element, a special chip installed in the iPhone and Apple Watch. The token is provided to the retailer or merchant when a payment is initiated. As a result, your card information is never directly accessible by the retailer or merchant.
Therefore, in a way, although your most recent purchases are saved in the Apple Wallet app, even Apple doesn't retain transaction details or credit card numbers on its servers.
With the recent launch of Apple Pay in Kuwait, the payment options for Apple device users just got more accessible and secure. Several banks in Kuwait have already adapted to the feature to allow linking up their credit and debit cards to the Apple Wallet. If you are in the process to apply for a debit card or credit card in Kuwait, do confirm with your bank if they are compatible with Apple Pay to get more information.
Is Apple Pay available in Kuwait?
Yes, Apple Pay is available in Kuwait, with its launch in the country in December 2022.
Is Apple Pay the same as Apple Wallet?
No, Apple Pay and Apple Wallet are different entities. Apple Pay is a way to pay online and make contactless purchases in stores. While Apple Wallet is the online repository, where you store your credit or debit card credentials that you want to use with Apple Pay.
What banks support Apple Pay in Kuwait?
Several major banks in Kuwait support Apple Pay transactions, including the National Bank of Kuwait. You can link your credit cards, debit cards and major prepaid cards with the Apple Wallet app to use Apple Pay.
Can anyone steal my Apple Wallet money if I lose my iPhone or Apple Watch?
Anyone who finds your iPhone or Apple Watch won't be able to make any purchases without your involvement because every Apple Pay transaction must be authorized by either your Face ID, Touch ID or passcode.